BOSS Spotlight: Meet The "Parenting Partner" Deborah L. Tillman



Deborah L. Tillman, President of the Parenting Movement, Speaker, Author, CEO of Happy Home Child Learning Center, “America’s Supernanny” on Lifetime TV. Labeled “A Force for Good” by The Washington Post, Tillman became frustrated with he poor quality childcare her son received; quit her job and started her own school.

TheBOSSNetwork: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?

DeborahTillman: One of my major challenges was finding a team of teachers that were connected to my vision who would have the commitment, character and courage to step out on faith and go through the process with me. Another challenge was learning how to delegate tasks so that people were placed in positions where their gifts and talents could be most effectively utilized.

BN: What inspired you to break into your particular industry? 

DT: My PAIN inspired my Purpose:DESPERATION comes to mind. Having gone through seven horrific childcare provider experiences l began to ask the question why me? Finally when I was about to break, I cried out to God and said what do you want me to do? That is when I heard a still small voice say:“I WANT YOU TO DO IT BETTER” I quit my job the next day and began the journey of caring for our nations children and parents.

BN: How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance? 

DT: I have a morning routine because over the years I now understand how important it is for me to take care of myself. My daily high 5’s consists of waking at 5am, exercising, meditation, writing three things I am grateful for and listing 5 things that will get accomplished that day. I also value my time everyone gets 24 hours and it is up to me to choose how it will be spent.

BN: What is an inspirational quote that you live by? 

DT: Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not to your own understanding in all your ways, acknowledge Him and He will direct your path. Proverbs 3:5-6

BN:  Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way? 

DT: My 5th grade teacher Mrs. Neal’s, who told me at a very young age not to allow anyone’s opinion of me become my reality. She loved me when I was unlovable and taught me when I was unreachable. Her patience and commitment to be a champion for children was life changing and transformational. I also visited and studied under the late Marva Collins whose proverbs and uplifting words have inspired me to be authentic, transparent and a light for the world.

BN: What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business going strong? 

DT: I am reminded of Psalm 1 that says we shall be like a tree. Trees have deep roots and my work is deeply rooted and grounded in my Faith. Trees also grow. Thus, we as BOSS women must continue to have a growth mindset that helps us to invest in ourselves so that we can impact the world. Finally, trees give shade. We must be “GIVERS”. For we know to whom much is given, much more is required.

BN: What is your definition of a BOSS?

DT: Blessed Optimistic Sisters Serving. There is destiny inside of each of us. We have an assignment to complete here on earth. I cannot do what you can do and you cannot do what I was created to do but Together, we can make a Difference.






Be sure to follow Deborah L.Tillman on Twitter @DeborahLTillman and check out her products and services at  www.Deborahltillman.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network