BOSS Spotlight: Meet The "Resilience Expert" Sylvia Duncan

Sylvia Duncan, “The Life Detox Coach,” inspirational speaker, and author of The Journey Back to You, teaches those she who calls Destiny Seekers, how to live life with resilience, happy and whole. Sylvia received coach training with the CaPP Institute and speaker training from the National Speakers Association’s Illinois Speaker Academy.

TheBOSSNetwork: What were some obstacles that you faced in the beginning process of starting your business or career?

Sylvia Duncan: I ran into several challenges when I started The Duncan Approach.Most of them were normal challenges anyone would face when beginning a startup, for example, whether to be a Sole Proprietor or Corporation. However, since The Duncan Approach is a series of training and coaching programs to help people who I call Destiny Seekers to think differently, the most important yet, fulfilling challenge I faced, was creating programs that would motivate people to change their thinking while at the same time, embrace possibility for their life.

BN: What inspired you to break into your particular industry?

SD: I was inspired to help people, mainly women because of my own experience. I grew up witnessing my dad physically abuse my mother until it ended with her shooting and killing him. I realized that the aftermath of what I witnessed; low self-esteem and low self-confidence, was holding me hostage so to speak, and keeping me from living the life I desired. I overcame these self-limiting behaviors and I want to help others do the same. The most authentic and natural way to accomplish this was to become a life coach and Inspirational speaker.

BN:How do you balance your personal and professional life or have you been able to find a balance?

SD: I can’t say that I’ve mastered this, yet. I’ve found that no matter how much you plan and schedule your day, stuff just happens. The key is to follow your schedule while still being prepared for the unexpected.

BN: What is an inspirational quote that you live by?

SD: I am inspired and live by a Carl Bard quote that says, “Although no one can go back and make a brand-new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand-new ending”. It’s true, you can’t go back and change your past, you can only move past it and create a better future. It’s what Paul says in Philippians 3:13 “Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before”. KJV

BN:Who were some influential people or mentors that helped or encouraged you along the way?

SD: Jim Rohn, Darren Hardy, Earl Nightingale and Zig Ziglar to name a few. I’ve found that your mentor or people who influence you don’t always have to be someone you see or speak to daily. Just listening to recordings or reading books from people I consider brilliant influencers has helped me to understand that the only thing standing between me and success is effort

BN: What are your "must-haves" to keep your career or business going strong?

SD: My first must have is a foundation in The Lord. Also, I must always have a belief in me, I must remain open minded, and I must have quiet time with God. In addition, I must never stop learning, I must never lose sight of my mission and most importantly, I must be willing to do it alone.I once defined a BOSS as someone who had total control, over their life and future. Now, I see a BOSS as someone who can impact the lives of others in a way that communities are changed. Helping others see what’s possible for their life while also creating in them a desire to help others is my definition of BOSS.




Be sure to follow Sylvia Duncan onTwitter @LifeDetoxCoach an check out her products & services at www.sylviaduncan.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network

BOSS Spotlight: Meet “Career Advancement Mentor” Pat E. Perkins, CPCC