Turning Bad Experiences in Gold Mines by Vanessa Abron

Flickr / Neal Wellons
Considering the high-value gold possesses, the path to get to it is rough.  If it were easy, everyone would be there. The same principle applies to the gold mines of our lives. 

Situation A
I had a job at a large corporation upon college graduation.  It wasn't my heart's desire, but I went into it with an open mind to learn and get the most of the experience.  However, I started to dislike my job so much that I cried as I prepared for work each morning.  It wasn’t the place for me and I was trying to find a way out. Nine months later I was let go.  I was devastated but also felt like I just unloaded a pack of bricks off my back. 
Lesson: Sometimes it takes getting lost a bit to get on the right track.

Situation B
When I decided to pursue public relations, I had the opportunity to work with one of the top public relations agencies.  I was excited and was confident that I was going to knock it out the park.  I was wrong.  The internship was hard.  I struggled.  I gave it my all and yet it wasn’t good enough.  I felt like I was failing.  
Lesson: The trail to the gold mine is arduous, and you will get bruises along the way.

Situation C
After hard work, tenacity, and determination, I landed my dream role, or so I thought.  My strengths were put on a backburner while my weaknesses were front and center for open criticism and judgment. The stress of the job showed physically in my overall appearance through rapid weight gain and broken hair follicles.  I had no time for family or friends.  Eventually, I had to walk away from this role.  
Lesson: Sometimes you have to experience fools gold before you get the real gold.

These seem like three horrible stories. However, hindsight is 20/20.  

Situation A helped me realize that I had to stay true to my passion.  Sometimes we pursue opportunities purely for the money.  We have bills, children and/or parents to care for, and personal ambitions that cost money.  However, passion should reign and to not allow money to serve as God.

Situation B was a quick boot camp that prepared me for my career ahead.  At my next job after Situation B, my colleagues and managers were impressed with my experience and the skills. Situation B made me tougher and fully equipped to conquer my next opportunity.

Situation C helped me realize that everything that glitters isn't gold, but also that I had what it took to get the real gold.  I wasn't where I was supposed to be, but at the same time, I was developing muscles that I didn't realize I had.  One could say it was a slight detour or perhaps an indication of what’s to come.  

Each situation was a stepping-stone to where I am now – realizing my potential as an entrepreneur and thus building upon that.  Without taking those steps, I probably would have been too afraid to enter the mine.  However, now I'm here deep in the tunnels with my shovel and pick ax chipping away at my mountain of gold.

Learn more about Vanessa via her website at www.vanessaabron.com and follow her on Twitter @vanessaabron (personal) and @AgencyAbron (business)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 BOSS Members To Follow On Twitter

BOSS & Sage Announce 2024 Invest in Progress Grant Winners

Empowering Black Women Founders: A Call to Action for Public and Private Sectors by The BOSS Network